DIY: Cute as Button Shirt
So, let the April Stash Bust posts resume (Yes, I realize it’s now May). Mid-April I had the perfect weekend to get a few stash busting projects finished up since the hubby was at his dad’s to attend the first Indy Car Race in Alabama. Racing just isn’t my thing so I opted to stay home and tackle our weed filled flower beds instead. So, Saturday after spending the majority of the day working in the yard and finding out my credit card number had been stolen, I retired to my little craft room to see what I could whip up.
I had originally purchased this aqua t-shirt with the intentions of making my niece a bunny shirt for Easter. Since that didn’t happen, I decided I needed to do something quick with the shirt so I could include it in a package I was planning to mail my sister that day. So I started digging around in a couple of the plastic bins of craft supplies I have stashed in a closet and came up with some leftover buttons from a wedding project and a massive stack of embroidery floss. Put all that together…and you get this Cute as a Button Heart Shirt.
To make your own version you’ll need the following:
- Buttons (I used (25) 1 cm buttons for this project)
- embroidery floss
- pencil to draw outline
- heart shaped template (optional)
- embroidery hoop (optional)
- hot glue/fabric glue (optional)
- Press the shirt flat
- Create Heart template and copy outline to shirt. I used a regular pencil but a tracing pencil that washes away would have worked better if I’d had one.
- If you want to add a little bit of extra attachment of the buttons to the shirt, take a moment to glue the edges of the buttons to the shirt. Take care not to glue the centers so you can stitch them down in the next step.
- Thread your needle with embroidery thread and tie off with a sturdy knot.
- Start in the center of the heart and stitch your buttons to the shirt with moving around the heart. This is where an embroidery hoop might make the process much easier.
- And after about an hour….1 cute as a button heart shirt :
Oh…so about those cute pink shorts. I have to admit I bought those Saturday on a trip to Target during April. I know…I wasn’t supposed to be adding to the stash before I finish busting through it but if it was less than $1 does it count? My local store had all their Easter goodies marked 75% off, but a nice lady watching me pick up a bag of Dove eggs told me it was actually ringing up 90% off. Which included all their children’s Easter themed clothing. So the shorts cost me a whopping $0.43 (including tax) and then I sewed a matching button in the middle of each of those cute little bows on the sides just to tie it all together.
- TShirt - from stash – otherwise Target – $5.00
- Buttons – free from stash – otherwise $1.99 for package, using 1/4 of package
- Embroidery Floss – free from stash – otherwise $0.99
GRAND TOTAL: $7.98 if you needed to buy everything at once.
My Grand Total: FREE from STASH (ok…$0.43 for the Easter Clearance shorts)
Safety Note: Make sure all buttons are glued and then sewn on securely. Due to buttons, do not leave your baby unattended while wearing this garment.