ReUse – Powdered Drink Container Candle
I have a friend with a growing 5-year-old…one who decided she wanted some big girl candles for her room. Obviously candles aren’t the best solution for a 5 year old, and battery operated candles are quite pricey for something that might lose its appeal quite quickly. So I had an idea: use some leftover battery operated tea lights to whip her up some cheaper “big girl” candles 🙂
- Plastic Powdered Drink tubes (ex. Crystal Light)
- Battery Operated Tea Light (1 per plastic tube)
- Scrapbook Paper
- Double-Sided tape or Xyron Machine
- Scissors or Paper Cutter
- Start out by cleaning the plastic container and removing all labels. Dry throughly afterwards.
- Measure the height of your plastic container.
- Using your scissors or paper-cutter cut a piece of scrapbook paper to the correct height.
- Wrap paper around your container and make a small mark where the edges meet (adding .25 inch to allow for a better seal/overlap).
- Using your scissors or paper-cutter cut the piece of scrapbook paper to the correct width. Use this piece as a template to cut other pieces for more containers.
- If using an Xyron machine run your pieces of cut scrapbook paper through the machine.
- Carefully remove the backing from the paper and carefully wrap it around the plastic container, taking care to smooth out to prevent any air bubbles. (If using double-sided tape run a piece down the height of the container and attach one end of the paper. Then attach another piece of double-sided tape to the inside of the finishing edge and carefully smooth around so that the paper is smooth and the edges are sealed).
- Drop in 1 or 2 battery operated votives and display your “big girl candles”. 🙂
- Plastic Powdered Beverage Containers – Free from recycle bin
- Scrapbook Paper – Free (or $1 from Target Dollar section)
- Battery Operated Tea Lights – Free, leftover from wedding (or $1 for 2 at Dollar Tree)
Total: FREE (or $1.50)
Bonus: These are so easy to make they would make a fun crafty project for the kiddos as well!