DIY: No Sew Bow Tie
- August 3rd, 2010
- Posted in Birthdays & Special Events . ReUse & Recycle . Sewing . Wedding
- Write comment
I’ve been making these quick bow ties for years. They are great for quick dress-up items and even Halloween costumes and had originally put this quick & easy tutorial together as a set of images to share with a certain tall, super artistic bride. The day before her wedding she was looking for some last minute bow ties for photobooth props and not finding anything to her liking. So, I snapped a few photos to get her started and then she rocked them out in her true artistic fashion. Below is the quick and dirty tutorial to whip up your own photobooth or next impromptu costume.
- 1 piece of felt (or other fabric) for each bow tie.
- elastic headband or wooden dowel
- hot glue
- Start by cutting off the piece that will become the center of your tie. If using a standard size piece of craft felt, just cut down one edge vertically and approximately 2 inches wide.
- Fold each of the edges of the larger piece of felt to the inside. Hot dog style. I leave a small opening in the center to make it a small bit larger, but this is not necessary.
- Take the long skinny piece of felt, and fold in half.
- Take the large piece from step 3 and squish it to the center (from both the top and bottom) to create the “bow” shape.
- Use the skinny piece to wrap around the center of the bow to hold it together. Secure the piece to the back of the bow with hot glue and then trim the excess length off with scissors. If you are using an elastic headband for your bow tie secure it underneath this center piece as well.
- Ready to wear…either as a bow tie or a large bow headband. Or if you are using for a photobooth attach a wooden dowel to the back as perfectly demonstrated by the Über creative Lauren (go ahead, link over and check out her super fun photobooth photos while you are at it)
So, there you have it a no sew fun bow tie in less than 5 minutes! Try them out, you’ll have fun I promise How will you use your no sew bow ties? Wedding photobooth props? Halloween costume?